Roads and highways can be pretty dangerous and lead to various accidents. Drivers are not always accountable for unnecessary traffic stops, theft, or insurance fraud attempts. For these reasons, an automobile owner must get a dash cam as a second pair of eyes on the road.
The finest dash cam for safety, security, or simply filming anomalies on the road will be determined by a few important aspects. It’s difficult to pick because there are so many dash cameras on the market, most of which are from unknown manufacturers.
Read on to learn more about dashcams and how to choose the best dashcam for your needs.
What Is a Dash Cam?
A dash cam is simply a device that records a driver’s every move. These gadgets, which are installed on the vehicle’s windscreen, record the road and traffic while the driver drives. People will understand why there is such an emphasis on these gadgets if they have ever been in a vehicle accident.
A dash cam may be used by a driver to ensure that they have video documentation of everything that occurs to them on the road, both inside and outside their vehicle. There are several options available to protect a driver from a variety of aspects.
Choosing the appropriate dash cam for a vehicle might be difficult, but if the owner knows what they want, they can discover a wonderful dash cam that meets their demands and budget.
What are the Benefits of Dash Cams?
Having a dash cam in a vehicle is important. It can help provide various benefits to the owner of the vehicle. Some of those benefits include:
Have full proof of the incident or a mishap
Accidents and incidents are nearly inescapable with the type of road infrastructure and drivers. The unfortunate issue is that many are quick to blame the larger car, even if they were not present for the entire occurrence. A car dash cam is incredibly useful in the event of an accident.
Nobody can challenge a driver’s behavior if they have complete video evidence of the occurrence. Not only will this be useful if they are involved in the collision, but dash cam footage may also be utilized to assist others if they are involved in an accident in front of the vehicle with the cam.
Won’t be harassed by the police
It would be unjust to hurl fingers at law enforcement because many honest police officers happily perform their duties. At the same time, there are a few shady officers out there seeking to make fast cash.
They frequently accuse drivers of failing to obey traffic signals or failing to wear seat belts, even if they did. Hence, using a dash cam, the motorist may demonstrate that they have not breached any regulations.
Pull out bad drivers
During a journey, there is a high possibility that a dash cam owner comes across a bad driver. These drivers are not only a danger to you and themselves but to pretty much everything on the road. They are frequently brutal and aggressive, and their driving talents are sometimes underestimated.
Such drivers are a danger to society and should face consequences for their acts. A dash cam owner may easily capture their behaviors as well as their license plate. The owner can then decide whether to talk with the driver directly or file a police report about the driver’s activities.
Road rage is mitigated
Road rage situations may quickly become nasty. Individuals that start road rage are extremely irritable and will go to any length to physically harm other drivers. Taking out the automobile dash cam and aiming it at their face will frequently calm them down in such a circumstance.
Seeing the dash cam, their senses are likely to kick in and they will calm down. Even if they don’t, the motorist will have evidence that someone was attempting to purposefully assault them. If the matter proceeds to a police station or court, the video evidence can effectively shift the case in the dash cam owner’s favor in a single motion.
How to Choose the Best Dash Cam?
With the above-mentioned point, one can become aware of the importance and benefits of a dashcam. Next, let’s look at some of the important points to consider while buying a dash cam for vehicles:
- Resolution of the video: The video resolution is one of the most crucial elements to consider when purchasing a dash cam. Modern dashboard cams can film in 4K quality, but if a vehicle owner doesn’t want to spend a lot of money on a dash cam, he or she should at least choose one that shoots in 1080p or full-HD resolution. One can get better video quality with greater resolution.
- GPS tracking: High-end dashboard cameras have an in-built GPS tracker that may record the vehicle’s position and speed. The information is extremely important when analyzing accident video footage. The camera can locate the precise coordinates of the car, and the position may be checked using internet map services like Google Maps.
- Field-of-view (FOV) of the camera: Typically, automotive dash cams use a wide-angle lens that provides a large field of vision. Before purchasing a dashboard camera, always examine the lens’s field of view (FOV). The wider the field of view, the better it can record videos.
- Wireless connectivity: In today’s era most dash cams can be connected to the internet or the phone via Bluetooth or wifi. There are many advantages of wireless connectivity with dash cams. For example, an owner can check the footage from a long distance with wifi. So always select a dash cam that has this feature.
- Storage of the dash cam: The video files captured by the dash cam are large and require a lot of storage space. So buying a dash cam with a MicroSD card slot is the best option. Ensure that the dash cam can be fitted with an SD card of up to 32 GB minimum. There are also dash cams in the market that can accept SD cards up to 128 GB.
- Audio features: While looking for the best dash cameras, consider whether or not they capture audio, but more importantly, whether or not you can turn it off. This feature is important because many laws forbid recording voices without consent.
A dash cam is one of the most important automobile additions. When an unfavorable incident occurs, a car dashboard camera may save the driver a lot of trouble. The video evidence will keep them out of sticky situations and will be useful for auto insurance claims.