Today, I bring to you my list of Top 16 free Software-apps to root any android device with or without a Computer. They’re the best Android rooting tools for phones & tablet devices.
It is necessary to understand what rooting an android device means. And what it does to your device before attempting to use any of these android root tools. Note also that most manufacturers will void your phone’s warranty if rooted.
There’s no risk at all trying out these software as they aren’t going to brick your devices. You are free to try another if the first one doesn’t root your phone and/or devices.
You just need to do us a favor – by reporting the model of your phone/device and what rooting tool or software among our list that was able to root it.
- Preparing to Root your Phone/Device
- The Best Software-apps to Root any Android
- 1. Vroot Software
- 2. kingoapp Root Software [Roots with or Without a Computer]
- How to Root any Android with Kingo Root Tool
- 3. SRSRoot Software
- 4. Framaroot (apk) App (Roots without a PC)
- How to Root with FramaRoot Android APK Rooting Tool
- 5. KingRoot [Roots With or Without a Computer]
- 6. Unlock Root Software
- 7. Root Master (apk) Rooting App
- How to Root with Root Master APK
- 8. z4root (apk) App
- 9. Universal Androot (apk) Root Tool
- Other Notable Rooting Tools [or Second-best Android Root Methods]
- Easy rooting toolkit (apk) App
- Towel Root
- Baidu Root [Roots with or Without a PC]
- Wondershare Mobilego [not 100% free]
- How to Root with Wondershare Mobilego
- Root Genius
- TunesGo Rooting Tool [not 100% free]
- a Video Tutorial on How to Root Any Android With & Without a PC
- Rooting Tools for Samsung Galaxy & Qualcomm Devices
- Ping pong root
- How to Root with Ping Pong Root Apk
- Odin Rooting Method [Bonus Addiction]
- Prefers a Paid Rooting Tool?
- In Conclusion:
Preparing to Root your Phone/Device
This is the first steps to take to fully prepare your phone for rooting and/or unrooting exercise.
- Charge your phone battery to at least 50%
- Install proper ADB (Android Debug Bridge) drivers for your phone / devices (links for android ADB drivers download)
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone/device by going to ==>Settings ==> Applications ==> Development ==> USB debugging (for older operating system (OS)) or ==> Settings ==>Developer options ==> “USB debugging”(for newer OS), also check the “stay awake” option.
- Enable unknown sources (if you want to root without a pc)
- Download the root checker app from Google play store: It is used for confirming that your phone or device is now fully rooted after following after the listed best rooting methods below.
The Best Software-apps to Root any Android
After preparing your phone/device for rooting, you will need decide to go with the method of using a computer (best if you have one) or by installing an app on your device.
Either ways, these top rooting apps below will root and/or unroot your Android phones and tablet devices within a few minutes.
Before jumping to the list proper, I’ll like to let you know – there’s a video tutorial on rooting (shared below the list) for some of our readers that are Technophobia or not too good with many texts.
Here’s the comprehensive list of top 16 best root tools that lets you root Android devices for free. These rooting tools are grouped according to their simplicity, success-rate and support for lots of devices.
1. Vroot Software
This is the best software for rooting any android phone, judging from the wide range of coverage and deep support for older operating system, I will lightly advice you try it first before the other ones in this list.
Vroot software as a dedicated tool for rooting/unrooting Android phone or devices can root almost all android devices running on the 2.2 (Froyo), 2.3 (Gingerbread), 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), 4.2 (Jelly Bean) and newer Operating Systems (OS).
The vRoot software was recently re-branded and code-named iRoot, the latest version of the app can be downloaded from here, while the older version that was used for this rooting guide can be gotten from the mirror site where we uploaded it.
We already have a detailed page that shows you how to use the vRoot method and the basic tips to use computer programs for rooting android. You can read up the vRoot guide here or continue with the other rooting methods below.
2. kingoapp Root Software [Roots with or Without a Computer]
kingoapp root software solution is just as effective as Vroot, although I have recorded more success with the former, I still rate it as highly as any other all_in_one root solution for android devices.
kingoapp is a big player among computer software to root and unroot any android phone. It works seamlessly with all major brands of Android phones, tablets and other devices.
Kingo root app works best for computers that are connected to the internet. It is required that your computer remains connected to the internet before launching the kingo root software.
Click the root button to root the connected device once the kingo root software has detected it.
How to Root any Android with Kingo Root Tool
- Download the latest version of Kingoapp from here or from the mirror website at http://kingoroot.org/kingo-root.
- Ensure that your phone or computer is connected to the internet.
- Install the Kingoapp or rooting software (depending on if you are rooting with or without the PC).
- Launch from the home screen icon and click on the root button command to get root access.
- Use the root checker app (linked above) to confirm that your phone is now rooted fully.
3. SRSRoot Software
SRSRoot software solution was of my favorite for rooting android devices before Vroot came to the scene. Although I haven’t used it for a while now, I can still recommend it for persons that didn’t have success with the previous two.
It has been in the space for long and have garnered many a-positive review from beta testers and regular users of this awesome rooting tool.
You can root lots of android phones and devices with it. As a one-click root solution, it only needs you to download the app, install, launch and follow the on-screen instruction to complete rooting with SRS rooting method.
Download Link: http://www.srsroot.com/
4. Framaroot (apk) App (Roots without a PC)
Framaroot is is the best app so far for rooting and unrooting android without a computer. It has support for even the latest android operating system (OS).
Rooting and unrooting with Framaroot is as easy as installing the app ==>launching same ==> and choosing from the list of available Android rooting exploits.
Wide range of success have been recorded already with this little miracle-app; even newer devices such as Samsung Galaxy, Tecno R7, Nokia XL android, Huawei Ascend and several others has been rooted with the Framaroot apk app.
For all tested devices and the exploits used, refer to http://framaroot.net/devices.html. Note also that Tecno, Gionee, iTel, infinix, micromax and most MTK based phones will normally use the Barahir exploit.
How to Root with FramaRoot Android APK Rooting Tool
- Download the latest version of framaroot apk from here.
- Send it to your phone or device (if downloaded with a PC) and make sure that the apk is in your phone’s memory.
- Install the framaroot app (after enabling unknown sources for your device).
- Launch the app from your home screen icon and select the install superuser option present in app’s screen.
- Select an Exploit (List of exploit methods for device and processor types would be listed at the end of this guide to serve as a pointer in helping you select the best exploit for your phone) and complete the actions.
- Wait for the Success, SU binary and superuser installed message that confirms that your phone is now rooted.
- Restart the device and launch the rooter checker to re-confirm your phone is rooted completely.
There’s a good video tutorial on rooting Android devices with framaroot app. It is created and distributed by Rohan Mane. You can watch below or read on for other jail-breaking methods for Android devices.
5. KingRoot [Roots With or Without a Computer]
KingRoot is as potent as iRoot and KingoRoot apps. The software is light-weighted and worked flawlessly on some selected models of MTK devices we used for testing out their performance and reliability.
Their latest version supports a wide range of devices (as opined by some of our other editors) including Samsung, HTC, Motoroloa and Sony Xperia droid devices. We hope to keep testing this app for a possible stand-alone review as soon as we can.
To root with KingRoot software or app, all you need do is ==>
Download the English version of the root software from here or search Google for KingRoot Apk to download the root without PC version.
==> hit the corresponding download button from the download options and ==> complete the rooting process from the GUI of the app. Install the root checker app to confirm that your device is now completely rooted.
New Update!, the latest version of KingRoot tool (version 4.8.0) has gained support for almost all popular Android devices running on the 5.1 Lollipop operating System (OS).
6. Unlock Root Software
I had success with this software in the past but can’t vouch for it now since it isn’t fully available for free any longer.
You should be thinking of it as an alternative only when the Vroot and/or kingoapp root software solutions fails to root your device.
We’ll test the app on newer devices in our care to see what max Android OS version it can root comfortably and how well it works for MTK powered smart phones.
Download Link: http://www.unlockroot.com/download.html
7. Root Master (apk) Rooting App
Root Master will root your phone or devices without the need of a computer, you should think of it an alternative only where Framaroot fails.
It is a good rooting tool for a lot of android phones and devices. The latest English version of this rooting app have been tasted to work with Tecno, Samsung, Gionee, iTel and other popular Android OEM brands.
Reading the how to root guide for the app below will guide you towards rooting your android devices effortlessly with the root master application.
How to Root with Root Master APK
- Download Rootmaster APK android application from here.
- Install the application and launch it from the home icon.
- Click on the Tap to Root option and wait for the rooting tool to perform its magic.
- Wait for the success message after your device might have restarted severally.
- Install the root checker app (linked above) to confirm if your android device is now completely rooted.
- Delete the raw APK file after rooting confirmation to save space.
8. z4root (apk) App
z4root is one of the oldest apps for rooting android devices without the need for a PC. It has support for wide range of devices and can root older phones as well.
2017 is already saturated with many new-comer universal Android rooting tools that really works, but this did not stop our ‘old friend’ Z4Root tool from being a viable app for rooting Android smart phones, tablets and PDAs.
Download link: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=z4root+latest+version+download+
9. Universal Androot (apk) Root Tool
Universal Androot is also very popular among apps that can root several android devices without the need of a computer.
There are several versions of Universal Androot app, but we do recommend that you use the latest version of Androot APK, depending on the Android device you’d like to try out the app on.
Download Link: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Universal+Androot+latest+version+download+
Other Notable Rooting Tools [or Second-best Android Root Methods]
This section might come in handy for those wiling to experiment their device’s rooting with few more harmless apps. These tools were tested on few Android devices before being listed here.
We hardly mention and/or recommend software/apps on 3rd Planet Techies without trying them out on our gadgets first.
Easy rooting toolkit (apk) App
Easy rooting toolkit; an app developed by DooMLoRD can root most android phones without a PC. It lets you get root access to older devices in seconds and works flawlessly on rooting most tablet devices.
It was really a fantastic rooting tool back in the days and have continued to work as a reliable rooting app for every day users.
Download Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321682
Towel root is a mobile app that lets one gain root access on Android devices without connecting to the PC. It works for most devices and can downloaded with the phone’s default browser.
Using Towel root android rooting tool to root Android devices is as straight-forward step. This is because it follows same steps as the rooting software listed above.
All you need do is: download the latest version of towel root APK from https://bit.ly/1p1OP2D or from the mirror website at http://towelroot.org, install it and follow after the screen prompt to root your chosen device.
Baidu Root [Roots with or Without a PC]
Baidu Root, just like towel root apk listed above is a versatile rooting tool that lets one root from phone or PC. It has so many positive reviews from users and doesn’t charge users for rooting with it.
It is a Chinese rooting app developed BaiduInc, a leading Chinese internet company that’s headquartered in Beijing, China.
It has support for over 6,000 models of Android devices and lets one root either directly from his phone or by connecting to a computer that has the Baidu root software installed in it.
Just like the other rooting software listed, Baidu root (.exe software, or .apk file) can be gotten from http://baiduroot.net and screen prompt followed to root any Android device of your choice.
Wondershare Mobilego isn’t specifically meant for rooting as it is a premium computer software that lets you manage Android and iOS devices.
But for this rooting tutorial, we are going to focus on how to root android phone and devices for free using the trial version of Wondershare MobileGO .
The steps to when attempting to root android phone and/or devices with wondershare mobilego is similar to the other rooting software and apps listed above.
- Install the proper USB support (ADB) drivers for your phone using the link mentioned at the ‘preparing to root’ section above.
- Download and install Wondershare MobileGo from the mobilego review post here.
- Launch the app and connect your android phone to the PC (after USB debug option must have been enabled)
- Allow wondershare mobilego to detect your device (while still running on the 16 days trial version, ie. assuming you don’t intend buying a licensed version of the software)
- Locate the One-Click Root button and click on it to root your device.
Root Genius is similar and functions the same way as the other root android with PC software listed above, you can download the latest version of it from http://rootgenius.com and give us a feedback if you were able or not able to root your device with it.
It works exactly the same way as mobileGo rooting tool and does not install too many unwanted apps like the iRoot app referenced in number one above.
Root Genius have got large number of feedback from Tecno, Wiko, MicroMax, Gionee and Infinix Android smart phone users that have appraised it as a formidable rooting app.
TunesGo Rooting Tool [not 100% free]
TuneGo root, just like Wondershare MobileGo listed above isn’t specifically created as a rooting tool, but works great in rooting most Android phones from popular OEMs such as: Google Nexus, HTC, Motorola, Acer, Sony, Samsung, Huawei, LG and etc.
Wondershare TunesGo is a versatile music management tool from Wondershare inc. It comes with many useful add-on such as: media sharing, recording and the root android function.
It is a paid tool but can be used for free within the 16 days trial period. The steps to use TuneGo rooting tool is the same as the one stated for the MobileGo app.
The trial version of Wondershare TunesGo with the rooting function add-in can be downloaded from our TunesGo review page here.
a Video Tutorial on How to Root Any Android With & Without a PC
Lately, we’ve got lots of private message(s) asking about the steps to root Android. This is very common with users that are very new to the Android operating system (OS).
Well, we thought it’s best we share a video tutorial on rooting to help you get started with the steps necessary for rooting Android devices.
So We created this 2-in-1 video tutorial that’s aimed at guiding first time rooters on how to root any Android device with or without a PC.
For this tutorial, We used the award-wining KingRoot app (PC .exe version and Mobile .apk version) as the rooting tool and a Micromax A106 Android smartphone running on version 5.0 Lollipop.
It is important to note that only one rooting method is treated in this video tutorial and that it is provided as a guide for rooting all types of Android phone and/or devices.
We’ll advice you use this video as a reference for rooting with KingRoot and/or any of the popular Android rooting methods discussed in this page.
Rooting Tools for Samsung Galaxy & Qualcomm Devices
This is another bonus addiction. We thought it necessary because of the poor-success rate reported by users of newer models of Samsung Galaxy devices.
Samsung galaxy note, phone and tablet devices is normally powered by the award-winning Qaulcomm processors that powers that of iOS too (see how to Jailbreak iOS devices here).
Here are 2 more software/apps to try out for granting root access to Samsung galaxy smart phones and/or tablet devices.
Ping pong root
Ping pong root apk is an app created solely for rooting Samsung galaxy s6 and s6 Edge devices respectively. It’s creation, development and distribution is 100% credited to the awesome team at xda-developers Forum.
Ping pong root is apt and flawless for getting root access on Samsung galaxy S6/S6 Edge smartphones (powered by Android 5.0 lollipop and Qaulcomm C.P.U).
How to Root with Ping Pong Root Apk
The steps to root a Samsung galaxy S6 device with Ping pong root app is similar to the ones listed above. All you need do is follow after the following pattern.
- Enable the installation of apps from unknown sources (as outlined above).
- Download and install the SuperSU app from Google play store or from a 3ptechies upload here.
- Download Ping pong root apk from here and copy it to your phone’s internal memory.
- Install and run Ping pong root. Allow it to install superSU/binaries.
- Run superSU once to activate it, ignore the error message prompt (after app closure) and return to Ping pong root app screen.
- Launch it and click on download data (assuming that your device is already connected to the internet).
- Click on get root to complete the Ping pong rooting method processes. Accept every permission message prompt and reboot device once the operation is completed successfully.
Odin Rooting Method [Bonus Addiction]
Odin is an award-winning tool for installing official ROMs, customs ROMs, modified firmware MODs and etc. to Samsung devices.
It can be used to install a root-injected ROM to every Samsung device, thereby granting a root access to it in a few minutes. The procedure for rooting with Odin is complex and should only be attempted by advanced users.
To root with Odin, you’ll need hit the search engines with your “Samsung device model + Odin rooting method”. Eg; Odin rooting method for Samsung galaxy note 10.1.
CF-Auto-Root is a perfect alternative to ping pong root apk. It has support for a wide range of Samsung galaxy, HTC, Sony and Google Nexus devices.
In fact, it is an app built for rooting high-end Qualcomm-powered Android devices. You can download and root with CF-Auto-Root app by following after the tips and download links found at cfautoroot.com.
Prefers a Paid Rooting Tool?
Except you’re a one-off user of Android, I don’t see using paid apps for rooting as a viable option. This is because, rooting is fun and usually repeated on new devices.
Besides, Android is an open source operating system that encourages independent contributors. There’s the possibility of getting root compatibility for your new device; as long as you’re willing to wait.
But if you are the type that prefers using a paid app for rooting and/or technical part of Android tweaking, I’ll recommend the paid rooting solution from one click.
This method is simpler as they would take you by the hand and root your desired Android phone risk-free. To subscribe to this service; simply download their rooting app free from https://3ptechi.es/2w9UQdU & follow after the screen prompt.
They offer VIP Support for each device you root with their app.
These apps and software methods should be able to grant root access to your Android powered devices as well as unroot them when the need arises.
Note: We included some paid Android rooting tools from Wondershare Inc. This is because the root tool comes with a trial version for users to try the rooting function before deciding to go for them.
They aren’t part of the 16 free rooting tools listed, but can come in handy as a viable root Android software for everyday users. The 16 free rooting software-apps in our list goes thus:
- Vroot Software
- kingoapp Root Software
- SRSRoot Software
- Framaroot App
- Unlock Root Software
- Root Master
- Universal Android root
- Easy rooting toolkit
- Towel Root
- Baidu Root
- Root Genius
- Ping pong root
- Odin Rooting tool
Our guide on how to root all android devices with Vroot (linked above) should serve as a reference for using the computer programs.
Do not forget to leave us a feedback if there be any challenges. Help us improve on this list by dropping the list of devices you were able to get root access on using any of these rooting methods.
This rooting apps/methods list was updated to include the KingRoot android rooting app (featured in number 5). And to further include some other rooting tools to help you get root access to your devices with ease using any of your favorite Android rooting app.