Today, I bring to you my list of Top 15 free Software-apps to root any android device with or without a Computer. They’re the best Android rooting tools for phones & tablet devices. There’s no risk at all in trying out these rooting software as they aren’t going to brick your devices.
You are free to try another if the first one doesn’t root your phone and/or tablet device. You just need to do us a favor – by reporting the model of your phone/device and what rooting tool or software among our list that was able to successfully root it.
Preparing to Root your Android Phone or Tablet Device
Here are the few things to do before attempting to root any Android phone. They’re the first steps to take to fully prepare your phone for rooting. It must be followed for manual android rooting or for when using any PC root software.
- Charge your phone battery to at least 50%
- Install proper ADB (Android Debug Bridge) drivers for your phone / devices (links for android ADB drivers download)
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone/device by going to ==>Settings ==> Applications ==> Development ==> USB debugging (for older operating system (OS)) or ==> Settings ==>Developer options ==> “USB debugging”(for newer OS), also check the “stay awake” option.
- Enable unknown sources (if you want to root without a pc).
- Download the root checker app from Google play store: It is used for confirming that your phone or device is now fully rooted after using any of the listed best rooting methods below.
the 15 Software/Apps to Root Android Phone and Devices
These top free rooting software and APKs (apps) below will root your Android phones and tablet devices within a few minutes. They’re the best in the business of rooting Android devices.
You can choosee to go with the rooting software programs or the Rooting APk apps. Either of them can root several models of MTK and Qualcomm devices easily. For most newer Andriod phones, we’ll recommend that you go with the PC root software before attempting the Root APKs. This is because the rooting software tools has support for more deices than the Rooting APKs.
1. Iroot (formerly Vroot) Computer Rooting Software
This is the best software for rooting any android phone, judging from the wide range of coverage and deep support for older operating system, I will lightly advice you try it first before the other ones in this list.
Vroot for PC software is a top tool for rooting/unrooting Android phone or devices. It can root almost all android devices running on the 2.2 (Froyo), 2.3 (Gingerbread), 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), 4.2 (Jelly Bean), 4.4.2, and newer Operating Systems (OS).
The vRoot software was recently re-branded and code-named iRoot, the latest version of the app can be downloaded from here, while the older version that was used for this rooting guide can be gotten from the mirror site where we uploaded it.
We already have a detailed page that shows you how to use the vRoot method and the basic tips to use computer programs for rooting android. You can read up the vRoot guide here or continue with the other rooting methods below.
2. kingoapp Root Software [Roots with/Without Computer]
kingoapp root software solution is just as effective as Vroot, although I have recorded more success with the former, I still rate it as highly as any other one click root android software.
kingoroot android PC version is a big player among best computer software to root and unroot any android phone. It works seamlessly with all major brands of Android phones, tablets and other devices.
Kingo root app works best for computers that are connected to the internet. It is required that your computer remains connected to the internet before launching the kingo root software.
Click the root button to root the connected device once the kingo root software has detected it.
How to Root any Android Phone with KingoRoot Tool
- Download the latest version of Kingoapp from here or from the mirror website at http://kingoroot.org/kingo-root.
- Ensure that your phone or computer is connected to the internet.
- Install the Kingoapp or rooting software (depending on if you are rooting with or without the PC).
- Launch from the home screen icon and click on the root button command to get root access.
- Use the root checker app (linked above) to confirm that your phone is now rooted fully.
3. SRS Root Software
SRSRoot software solution was of my favorite for rooting android devices before Vroot came to the scene. Although I haven’t used it for a while now, I can still recommend it for persons that didn’t have success with the previous two.
It has been in the space for long and have garnered many a-positive review from beta testers and regular users of this awesome rooting tool.
You can root lots of android phones and devices with it. As a 1 click root app, it only needs you to download the app, install, launch and follow the on-screen instruction to complete rooting with SRS rooting method.
Download Link: srsroot.com
4. Framaroot (apk) App (Roots without PC)
Framaroot instant root apk is the best app so far for rooting and unrooting android without a computer. It has support for even the latest android operating system (OS).
Rooting and unrooting with Framaroot is as easy as installing the app ==>launching same ==> and choosing from the list of available Android rooting exploits.
Wide range of success have been recorded already with this little miracle-app; even newer devices such as Samsung Galaxy, Tecno R7, Nokia XL android, Huawei Ascend and several others has been rooted with the Framaroot apk app.
For all tested devices and the exploits used, refer to http://framaroot.net/devices.html. Note also that Tecno, Gionee, iTel, infinix, micromax and most MTK based phones will normally use the Barahir exploit.
How to Root with FramaRoot Android APK Rooting Tool
To root android phones with Framaroot as your favorite Android jail-breaking method, follow after the video guide above or complete these steps to gain root access on your android phone/device.
- Download the latest version of framaroot apk from here.
- Send it to your phone or device (if downloaded with a PC) and make sure that the apk is in your phone’s memory.
- Install the framaroot app (after enabling unknown sources for your device).
- Launch the app from your home screen icon and select the install superuser option present in app’s screen.
- Select an Exploit (List of exploit methods for device and processor types would be listed at the end of this guide to serve as a pointer in helping you select the best exploit for your phone) and complete the actions.
- Wait for the Success, SU binary and superuser installed message that confirms that your phone is now rooted.
- Restart the device and launch the rooter checker to re-confirm your phone is rooted completely.
5. KingRoot [Roots With or Without a PC]
KingRoot is a potent rooting tool just as iRoot and KingoRoot apps. The software is light-weighted and worked flawlessly on some selected models of MTK devices we used for testing out their performance and reliability.
Their latest version supports a wide range of devices (as opined by some of our other editors) including Samsung, HTC, Motoroloa and Sony Xperia droid devices. We hope to keep testing this app for a possible stand-alone review as soon as we can.
Video Tutorial for Rooting Android With & Without Computer
To root with KingRoot software or app, all you’d need do is ==>
Download the English version of the root software from here or search Google for KingRoot Apk to download the root without PC version.
==> hit the corresponding download button from the download options and ==> complete the rooting process from the GUI of the app. Install the root checker app to confirm that your device is now completely rooted.
New Update!, the latest version of KingRoot tool (version 4.8.0) has gained support for almost all popular Android devices running on the 5.1 Lollipop operating System (OS). It is now a top one click root for PC software.
6. Unlock Root Program
I had success with this awesome rooting program in the past but can’t vouch for it now since it isn’t fully available for free any longer.
You should be thinking of it as an alternative only when the Vroot and/or kingoapp root software solutions fails to root your device.
We’ll test the app on newer devices in our care to see what max Android OS version it can root comfortably and how well it works for MTK powered smart phones.
Download Link: Unlock root program can be downloaded from http://www.unlockroot.com/download.html.
7. Root Master (apk that roots without Computer)
Root Master will root your phone or devices without the need of a computer, you should think of it an alternative only where Framaroot fails.
It is a good rooting tool for a lot of android phones and devices. The latest English version of this rooting app have been tasted to work with Tecno, Samsung, Gionee, iTel and other popular Android OEM brands.
Reading the how to root guide for the app below will guide you towards rooting your android devices effortlessly with the root master application.
How to Root Android Phones with Root Master APK
- Download Rootmaster APK android application from here.
- Install the application and launch it from the home icon.
- Click on the Tap to Root option and wait for the rooting tool to perform its magic.
- Wait for the success message after your device might have restarted severally.
- Install the root checker app (linked above) to confirm if your android device is now completely rooted.
- Delete the raw APK file after rooting confirmation to save space.
8. z4root (apk Rooting App)
z4root is one of the oldest apps for rooting android devices without the need for a PC. It has support for a wide range of devices and can root older phones as well.
2018 is already saturated with many “new-comers” universal Android rooting tools that really works, but this did not stop our ‘old friend’ Z4Root tool from being a viable app for rooting Android smart phones, tablets and PDAs.
Download link: [You can use this Google search link to get the version of z4root program for your Android device model].
9. Universal Androot (apk) Root Tool
Universal Androot is also very popular among apps that can root several android devices without the need of a computer.
There are several versions of Universal Androot app, but we do recommend that you use the latest version of Androot APK, depending on the Android device you’d like to try out the app on.
Download Link: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Universal+Androot+latest+version+download+
Note: The section below would come in handy for those wiling to experiment their device’s rooting with a few more harmless apps. These tools were tested on few Android devices before being listed here.
We hardly mention and/or recommend software/apps on 3rd Planet Techies without trying them out on our gadgets first.
10. Easy rooting toolkit (apk) App
Easy rooting toolkit; an app developed by DooMLoRD can root most Android phones without a PC. It lets you get root access to older devices in seconds and works flawlessly on rooting most tablet devices.
It was really a fantastic rooting tool back in the days and have continued to work as a reliable rooting app for every day users.
Download Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321682
11. Towel Root Apk Rooting Tool
Towel root is a mobile app that lets one gain root access on Android devices without connecting to the PC. It works for most devices and can be downloaded with the phone’s default browser.
Using Towel root android rooting tool to root Android devices is a straight-forward step. This is because it follows same steps as the rooting software listed above.
All you need do is: download the latest version of towel root APK from https://bit.ly/1p1OP2D or from the mirror website at http://towelroot.org, install it and follow after the screen prompt to root your chosen device.
12. Baidu Root [Roots with/Without a Computer]
Baidu Root, just like towel root apk listed above is a versatile rooting tool that lets one root from phone or PC. It has so many positive reviews from users and doesn’t charge users for rooting Android devices with it.
Baidu Root is a Chinese rooting app developed by Baidu Inc, a leading Chinese internet company that’s headquartered in Beijing, China.
It has support for over 6,000 models of Android devices and lets one root either directly from his phone or by connecting to a computer that has the Baidu root software installed in it.
Just like the other rooting software listed, Baidu root (.exe software, or .apk file) can be gotten from http://baiduroot.net and screen prompt followed to root any Android device of your choice.
Wondershare Mobilego isn’t specifically meant for rooting as it is a premium computer software that lets you manage Android and iOS devices.
But for this rooting tutorial, we are going to focus on how to root android phone and tablet devices for free using the trial version of Wondershare MobileGO .
The steps to root android phone/devices with wondershare mobilego is similar to that of other rooting software and apps listed above.
- Install the proper USB support (ADB) drivers for your phone using the link mentioned at the ‘preparing to root’ section above.
- Download and install Wondershare MobileGo from the mobilego review post here.
- Launch the app and connect your android phone to the PC (after USB debug option must have been enabled)
- Allow wondershare mobilego to detect your device (while still running on the 16 days trial version, ie. assuming you don’t intend buying a licensed version of the software)
- Locate the One-Click Root button and click on it to root your device.
14. Root Genius
Root Genius as a top rooting tool/software is similar to KingRoot and works the same way as the other root android with PC software listed above. You can download the latest version of it from http://rootgenius.com and give us a feedback if you were able to root your phone with it.
It is indeed a top root app to root android without a computer and works exactly as mobileGo rooting tool. Root genius works well by not installing too many unwanted apps like the iRoot app referenced in #1 above does.
Even though we are yet to root any android 6.0 marshmallow device with Root Genius rooting software, we must mention that – they have got large number of feedback from Tecno, Wiko, MicroMax, Gionee, Xiaomi and Infinix Android smart phone users that have appraised it as a formidable rooting app.
15. TunesGo Rooting Software [not a 100% free Rooting Tool]
TuneGo root, just like Wondershare MobileGo isn’t specifically created as a rooting tool, but works great in rooting most Android phones from popular OEMs such as: Google Nexus, Google Pixel, HTC, Motorola, Acer, Sony, Samsung, Huawei, LG and etc.
Wondershare tunesgo roots android with one click. In practice, it is a versatile music management tool for Android phones. It comes with many useful add-on such as: media sharing, recording and the root android function.
It is a paid tool but can be used for free within the 16 days trial period. The steps to use Wondershare tunesgo for android rooting tool is the same as the one stated above for MobileGo Android toolkit.
The trial version of Wondershare TunesGo with the rooting function add-in can be downloaded from our TunesGo root review page here.
More on the 15 Software-apps to Root Android Phone/Devices
After preparing your phone/device for rooting, you will need decide to go with the method of using a computer (best if you have one) or by installing a root apk app on your device. Either ways, the listed rooting methods can root lots of Android phone and devices with ease.
Before jumping to the next tips on rooting, I’ll like to let you know – there’s a video tutorial on rooting (shared here) for some of our readers that are Technophobia or not too good with many texts. All in all, these 15 root tools lets you root Android devices for free. They were grouped according to their simplicity, success-rate and support for lots of rootable devices.
Note: It is important to understand what rooting an android device means. And what it does to your device before attempting to use any of these android root tools. Note also that most manufacturers will void your phone’s warranty if rooted.
Tip: How to Root Samsung Galaxy Devices with Odin & CF-Auto-Root
This is a detailed template for rooting a Samsung galaxy device on Windows
Computer with Odin and CFAutoRoot file. For this tutorial, Samsung galaxy note 10.1 (3G, Wi-Fi) tablet device is used.
You can apply it for any another Samsung Galaxy phone or device. The only thing that’d be different is the root file and nothing else. You can get the proper root file for your phone by searching with “deviceName + model + root file” on Google or any other search engine.
Here are the steps to root a Samsung galaxy note 10.1 device on a PC using Odin and CF-Auto-Root files.
- Charge your Phone to 45% or above.
- Download and Install Samsung USB Driver on your computer machine. If Samsung
USB Driver is already installed on your computer, then do Skip this Step.
- Download and extract the root files to your computer machine (a sample root file for Samsung galaxy note 10.1 can be found here). After extracting the archive, you
will be able to see Odin executable, and CF-Auto-Root package as seen in the image below.
- Switch off your Samsung galaxy note 10.1 Tab (or any other Samsung device) and boot into Download Mode by: ==> Press and hold Volume Down button plus Power button at same time for like 7 seconds or until you see that download mode is active on your screen.
- While in the download mode, wait for the Warning Yellow Triangle Sign to appear. Then press the Volume up button to continue to the next step.
- From the files you extracted in step 3 above, Locate and click on Odin3-v3.10.6 to launch Odin utility app.
- Connect your Tab (or device) to the computer and wait for Odin to detect and add it automatically. Once added successfully, you’ll see it from the log at the left side of the screen or as seen in the image below.
- Once you’ve confirmed that your device is properly detected by Odin, ==>Locate and click on the PDA button and then select the CF-Auto-Root.tar file (the one you’ve extracted in step 3 above).
- Click on the Start button in Odin (as seen in the image above) to begin the Flashing/rooting process. Wait for some minutes for it to complete. Do not touch or disconnect even after re-booting. Once completed, you’ll see a large green box in Odin with Pass boldly written on it.
- You can safely disconnect your device after the pass message has shown up and then confirmed it’s rooted by installing the root checker app from Google play store.
Is it Advisable to Root Android Phones in 2019?
Well, the answer to this is no and yes.
No, because most of the tweaks that make Android rooting compulsory are now added to most popular OEMs by default. Latest Samsung, Xiaomi, and Oneplus smartphones give the user more freedom to tweak stuff than it was in the past.
Features such as aggressive battery saving, call recording, call blocking, keyword blacklisting, message blocking, unique fonts selection, and many others are now a click away unlike before. So, unless there are some special functions you’d like to use, I don’t see the need for rooting your phones immediately after a new purchase.
And yes because developers need rooting to enjoy their Android phone and devices. Popular root apps like Lucky patcher, Xposed Framework, System App Remover, and the rest of them needs root access to work properly.
A lot of developers and super users can’t use an Android device without some of these apps. So rooting for them is crucial irrespective of 2019, 2020 or even 2050.
Wrap Up on the Top Best Free Rooting Software-Apps:
These rooting apps and software methods should be able to grant root access to your Android devices as well as unroot them when the need arises.
Note: We included some paid Android rooting tools from Wondershare Inc. This is because the root tool (or rooting software) comes with a trial version for users to try the rooting function before deciding to go for them.
As a solid rooting tool, they will come in handy as a viable root Android software for everyday users. Our guide on how to root all android phones with Vroot (linked above) should serve as a reference for using the computer root programs.
At the moment, we are testing iSkysoft Toolbox – Android Root function and how well it works for rooting android 6.0.1, Android 7.0 Nougat and other tougher Android phone versions. Once we confirm it as a top rooting toolbox to get root access on Android with ease, we’ll create a room for it on the list.
Do not forget to leave us a feedback if there be any challenges. Help us improve on this list by dropping the list of Android phones you were able to get root access on using any of these rooting methods.
[post_modified_date] Update: iSkysoft Android Rooting Toolbox (not 100% Free).
How to Root Any Android with iSkysoft (Android Rooting) Toolbox
Like we said earlier, a test is being done for iSkysoft android rooting toolbox to see how well it handles newer Android devices. So far, the test has been positive as we were able to root some really stubborn phones with it.
iSkysoft rooting toolbox is a risk-free and 100% secured rooting software from iSkysoft. It claims to be able to root over 7,000 different Android devices, but we’ve tested it on three devices only.
Just like Wondershare MobileGo and TunesGo Rooting Software, iSkysoft toolbox is not free, but lets you use the software for a few days until the trial version ends. Rooting with iSkysoft is fast and easy. It is as simple as completing the following steps below:
- Install the official version of iSkysoft Toolbox for Android by downloading it from toolbox.iskysoft.com/android-root.html
- Launch iSkysoft Toolbox by clicking on the desktop icon or via the taskbar shortcut.
- From the options displayed; locate Root and click on it.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone or tablet device and connect it to your PC.
- Allow iSkysoft Android rooting Toolbox to detect your device and find a proper package to root it correctly.
- Wait for the phone to reboot as many times as possible until the rooting task is completed.