Today, I bring to you my list of Top 9 free Software-apps to root any android device with or without a Computer. They are best for rooting & unrooting any android phone or devices.
It is necessary to understand what rooting an android device means. And what it does to your device before attempting to use any of the under-listed solutions. Note also that most manufacturers will void your phone warranty if rooted.
There’s no risk at all trying out these software as they aren’t going to brick your devices. You are free to try another if the first one doesn’t root your phone and/or devices.
You just need do us a favor by reporting the model of your phone/device and what software among our list that was able to root it.
Preparing to Root your Phone/Device
This is the first steps to take to prepare your phone for rooting and/or unrooting.
- Charge your phone battery to at least 50%
- Install proper ADB (Android Debug Bridge) drivers for your phone / devices (links for android ADB drivers download)
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone/device by going to ==>Settings ==> Applications ==> Development ==> USB debugging (for older operating system (OS)) or ==> Settings ==>Developer options ==> “USB debugging”(for newer OS), also check the “stay awake” option.
- Enable unknown sources (if you want to root without a pc)
- Download the root checker app from Google play store: It is used for confirming that your phone or device is now fully rooted after following after the listed best rooting methods below.
The 9 Best Software-apps to Root any Android
After preparing your phone/device for rooting, you will need decide to go with the method of using a computer (best if you have one) or by installing an app on your device.
Either ways, these nine apps below will root and/or unroot your phone/devices within a few minutes.
1. Vroot Software
This is the best software for rooting any android phone, judging from the wide range of coverage and deep support for older operating system, I will lightly advice you try it first before the other ones in this list.
Vroot software as a dedicated tool for rooting/unrooting Android phone or devices can root almost all android devices running on the 2.2 (Froyo), 2.3 (Gingerbread), 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich), 4.2 (Jelly Bean) and newer Operating Systems (OS).
The vRoot software was recently re-branded and code-named iRoot, the latest version of the app can be downloaded from here, while the older version that was used for this rooting guide can be gotten from the mirror site where we uploaded it.
We already have a detailed page that shows you how to use the vRoot method and the basic tips to use computer programs for rooting android. You can read up the vRoot guide here or continue with the other rooting methods below.
2. kingoapp Root Software [Roots with or Without a Computer]
kingoapp root software solution is just as effective as Vroot, although I have recorded more success with the former, I still rate it as highly as any other all_in_one root solution for android devices.
kingoapp is a big player among computer software to root and unroot any android phone. It works seamlessly with all major brands of Android phones, tablets and other devices.
Kingo root app works best for computers that are connected to the internet. It is required that your computer remains connected to the internet before launching the kingo root software.
Click the root button to root the connected device once the kingo root software has detected it.
How to Root Android with Kingo App
- Download the latest version of Kingoapp from here or from the mirror website at http://kingoroot.org/kingo-root.
- Ensure that your phone or computer is connected to the internet.
- Install the Kingoapp or rooting software (depending on if you are rooting with or without the PC).
- Launch from the home screen icon and click on the root button command to get root access.
- Use the root checker app (linked above) to confirm that your phone is now rooted fully.
3. SRSRoot Software
SRSRoot software solution was of my favorite for rooting android devices before Vroot came to the scene. Although I haven’t used it for a while now, I can still recommend it for persons that didn’t have success with the previous two.
It has been in the space for long and have garnered many a-positive review from beta testers and regular users of this awesome rooting tool.
You can root lots of android phones and devices with it. As a one-click root solution, it only needs you to download the app, install, launch and follow the on-screen instruction to complete rooting with SRS rooting method.
Download Link: http://www.srsroot.com/
4.Framaroot (apk) App (Roots without a PC)
Framaroot is is the best app so far for rooting and unrooting android without a computer. It has support for even the latest android OS.
Rooting and unrooting with Framaroot is as easy as installing the app ==>launching ==> and choosing from the list of available exploits.
Wide range of success have been recorded already with this little wonder-app; even newer devices such as Samsung Galaxy, Tecno R7, Nokia XL android, Huawei Ascend and several others has been rooted with the Framaroot apk app.
For all tested devices and the exploits used, refer to http://framaroot.net/devices.html. Note also that Tecno, Gionee and most MTK based phones will normally use the Barahir exploit.
How to Root with FramaRoot APK
- Download the latest version of framaroot apk from here.
- Send it to your phone or device (if downloaded with a PC) and make sure that the apk is in your phone’s memory.
- Install the framaroot app (after enabling unknown sources for your device).
- Launch the app from your home screen icon and select the install superuser option present in app’s screen.
- Select an Exploit (List of exploit methods for device and processor types would be listed at the end of this guide to serve as a pointer in helping you select the best exploit for your phone) and complete the actions.
- Wait for the Success, SU binary and superuser installed message that confirms that your phone is now rooted.
- Restart the device and launch the rooter checker to re-confirm your phone is rooted completely.
5. KingRoot [Roots With or Without a Computer]
KingRoot is as potent as iRoot and KingoRoot apps. The software is light-weighted and worked flawlessly on some selected models of MTK devices we used for testing out their performance and reliability.
Their latest version supports wide range of devices (as opined by some of our other editors) including Samsung, HTC, Motoroloa and Sony Xperia droid devices. We hope to keep testing this app for a possible stand-alone review as soon as we can.
To root with KingRoot software or app, all you need do is ==> visit http://kingroot.net with your smartphone or computer ==> hit the corresponding download button from the download options and ==> complete the rooting process from the GUI of the app. Install the root checker app to confirm that your device is now completely rooted.
New Update!, the latest version of KingRoot tool (version 4.8.0) has gained support for almost all popular Android devices running on the 5.1 Lollipop operating System (OS).
6. Unlock Root Software
I had success with this software in the past but can’t vouch for it now since it isn’t fully available for free any longer. You should be thinking of it as an alternative only when the Vroot and/or kingoapp root software solutions fails to root your device.
Download Link: http://www.unlockroot.com/download.html
7. Root Master (apk) App
Root Master will root your phone or devices without the need of a computer, you should think of it an alternative only where Framaroot fails.
It is a good rooting tool for a wide range of android phones and devices. The latest English version of this rooting app have been tasted to work with Tecno, Samsung, Gionee, iTel and other popular Android OEM brands.
Reading the how to root guide for the app below will guide you towards rooting your android devices effortlessly with the root master application.
How to Root with Root Master APK
- Download Rootmaster APK android application from here.
- Install the application and launch it from the home icon.
- Click on the Tap to Root option and wait for the rooting tool to perform its magic.
- Wait for the success message after your device might have restarted severally.
- Install the root checker app (linked above) to confirm if your android device is now completely rooted.
- Delete the raw APK file after rooting confirmation to save space.
8. z4root (apk) App
z4root is one of the oldest apps for rooting android devices without the need for a PC. It has support for wide range of devices and can root older phones as well.
Download link: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=z4root+latest+version+download+
9. Universal Androot (apk) App
Universal Androot is also very popular among apps that can root several android devices without the need of a computer.
Download Link: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Universal+Androot+latest+version+download+
Other Notable Rooting Methods
Easy rooting toolkit (apk) App [Bonus Addiction]
Easy rooting toolkit; an app developed by DooMLoRD can root most android phones without a PC. It lets you get root access to older devices in seconds and works flawlessly on rooting most tablet devices.
It was really a fantastic rooting tool back in the days and have continued to work as a reliable rooting app for every day users.
Download Link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1321582
Wondershare Mobilego isn’t specifically meant for rooting as it is a premium computer software that lets you manage Android and iOS devices.
But for this rooting tutorial, we are going to focus on how to root android phone and devices for free using the trial version of Wondershare MobileGO .
The steps to when attempting to root android phone and/or devices with wondershare mobilego is similar to the other rooting software and apps listed above.
- Install the proper USB support (ADB) drivers for your phone using the link mentioned at the ‘preparing to root’ section above.
- Download and install Wondershare MobileGo from the mobilego review post here.
- Launch the app and connect your android phone to the PC (after USB debug option must have been enabled)
- Allow wondershare mobilego to detect your device (while still running on the 15 days trial version, ie. assuming you don’t intend buying a licensed version of the software)
- Locate the One-Click Root button and click on it to root your device.
Root Genius is similar and functions the same way as the other root android with PC software listed above, you can download the latest version of it from http://rootgenius.com and give us a feedback if you were able or not able to root your device with it.
These apps and software methods should be able to grant root access to your Android powered devices as well as unroot them when the need arises.
Our guide on how to root all android devices with Vroot (linked above) should serve as a reference for using the computer programs.
Do not forget to leave us a feedback if there be any challenges, help us also by dropping the list of devices you were able to get root access on using any of these rooting methods.
Update! June 2016.
This list was updated to include the KingRoot android rooting app (featured in number 5). And to further include some other rooting tools to help you get root access to your devices with ease using any of your favorite rooting method.
Feel free to add other rooting apps you have used successfully and do not fail to notify us, if there’s any challenges encountered when trying to use any of the rooting methods here.